Updates 22nd and 23rd May

It's been a super productive week and weekend both in terms of work and stuff I
learned over the week while going through a lot of articles and setups, we'll
discuss over a few things over the course of the next few posts.

Let's get back to the dev logs.

Taco Datepicker

We'll start with the datepicker, on the previous log I talked about the progress
on Taco and everything and the datepicker was picked from TillWhen's
implementation and while it suffices the base requirement for an Alpha project
the codebase is very hacky cause built it too quickly.

Anyway, had to create a better and cleaner version both in terms of design and
code so I picked this up and probably the first time I've worked after office
hours on something and not felt lazy.

Anyway, this is now a separate repository on my
Github and while I plan to
release the whole Taco-UI as a package, for now we're going to keep the taco
datepicker as the only one available to public because the rest of the
components are pretty unstable and I wouldn't want people experiencing issues
the moment they start using it.


Next up is the actual product, Taco, in terms of update, I most spent time
working on ways to make the mono repo work with the deployment process and avoid
having to create docker images for every small change. Have a process in place,
let me know if you'd like to know about the deployment process and setup.

For now, the alpha servers that I planned to release on 1st of June are up and
usable with a testing account for now, you can create your own account but the
feature set isn't complete and a lot of things are disabled by default since
it is a testing instance , you're better off waiting till 1st for me to make
the instance usable and after 2-3 weeks of monitoring on that instance is when
I'll be launching it properly.

Hopefully, it beats TillWhen...


This is the static markdown folder converter that I use for this very blog and
the changes are still being tested and worked on , the main reason for a change
is so that people can easily generate indexed and custom markdown pages and also
because I want to move these weekly logs into it's own section instead of mixing
up with the normal posts, the same applies for the checklists, they are
technically a part of posts but the primary link-backs are from the
Misc section and makes no sense to have them in the posts as well.

So overall the static generator is going to have a better config file to work
with and while I'm doing that I can work on making it faster.


The one project I spent a lot of time dreaming about finally has a proper
direction, the changelogs are now going to be cleaner, it has a release
subcommand that can help manage the version but is limited to working with just
git, I want to make it use a .commitlog.version file so it can use that to
decide how to increase and decrease version instead of doing all the heavy
lifting of reading the repo again and going through the revs to find the latest

The support for commitlint standards stay since I still do use the standards
personally but not strictly and that's why commitlog doesn't force you either.

Smaller Projects


I've been working with a lot of projects from work and I end up making a similar
type of config files to maintain switching between environments and since you
shouldn't add any secret data in the frontend anyway, the config method works
well. Manually doing it again and again can get exhausting and so
add-config is simple nodejs cli
that can do it for you, "Why not write it in go or write a bash script!?"
simply because most of the projects I work with are node based and I don't need
to download a binary over curl to set this up on a new system, it's a simple
npx invoke and I have the config in place. I can write a bash script but then
you copy around that bash script as well, the point is to be quick with things
like these so you can spend time to do other things.


This tool has been in the arsenal for a while now and I use it on almost all dev
environment setups since the dokku app creation and config handling isn't as
un-attented as I'd like it to be, so a simple cli I built as a toy to learn go
has been coming in handy, though there was an error, I left the url scheme in
the creation script and forgot that dokku won't allow me to add a domain with
the scheme in the string (http:// or https://) so just added a simple parser
to handle that and now the scripts won't give you an error, also separate domain
and app setup scripts because dokku doesn't recommend setting the domain before
a proper deployment so you can run the domain setup later. The same has been
added to the non-config execution and dokku will ask you regarding the domain
and since I was doing all this, i also added letsencrypt support to the config
and non-config invocation so it'll setup letsencrypt for the domain as well on
execution of the scripts.

That was a lot of stuff, I'm impressed, anyway that's it for now.